« Home | Friday Stuff... » | PokerXtreme, Bodog, and Steve Irwin... » | PokerStars.com launches new SnG's » | Launching PokerXtreme.com » | On Tilt... » | Getting Back Above Water... » | Poker, Projects, and World Trade Center » | Side Project... » | Odds, Ends, and a Memorial for Hector » | I'm Back! » 

Monday, September 11, 2006 

Stop, Reflect, and Remember...

Before I talk about anything poker related, I wanted to take a moment and reflect on the events of 9/11. Today marks the 5 years anniversary of the tragic acts that took so many lives and I feel it necessary to stop, reflect, and remember. 

It’s easy to get caught up in ones day to day activities.  It’s easy to take the material things you possess for granted.  And it’s even easier to take the people you love for granted.  I am grateful for my wife, my family and my friends.  I’m grateful that I have loving pets and a roof over my head.  All of the other stuff, poker, internet, t.v., etc…it’s just extra.  I’m thankful that I can bring these small luxuries into my life…but in reality, if not for family, friends, and especially my wife, I would not be the person that I am.  So, to them I say I love you and I appreciate you. 

9/11 really disturbed me on a very deep level.  Watching the events unfold from afar left me feeling empty.  That emptiness soon turned to anger and to some extent, hatred.  5 years have passed.  Is our country any better off?  I’ll leave the answers to the political types.  However, I fear the answers. 

My thoughts and prayers remain with the families of those that lost lives that day.  And to those that continue to fight for our country in far off lands.

Poker…
Okay…that’ll be my “deep post” for a while.  As for poker.  Really didn’t play that much this weekend.  Did a little Saturday evening which resulted in a few SnG’s and a small profit.  Played in a $50 MTT last night which had been going well.  Found myself 18 places away from the money and on the short stack side.  Made a move with KK and was beaten with QJ.  That crippled me resulting in a near bubble departure.

For those that think bad beats only happen on “insert poker site here”, get real.  I’ve now given bodog.com a good honest test, and in the end, while the quality of player is a little different, the percentages of various beats are almost exactly the same for me.  I see the same crap on bodog that I do on stars.  After everything is said and done, it’s not that “strange” things are happening; you’re simply seeing more hands which result in a greater variance of interesting hands.  Some of which you lose, some of which you win.  How many times has the river helped you?  This is a simple stat most people often overlook when they bitch and moan about personalized bad beats they think they endure.  I chalk that up to the negative always outweighing the positive.  You see it all the time in the business world when customer satisfaction is explored, same holds true for poker.  People are always more apt to talk about the piss pour hands they encounter.  Anyhoo…

So, current bankroll:
Bodog: $279
Titan: $150
PokerStars: $15


Total: $444

Not great…but not horrible.  Things are moving a lot slower than I would like.  But I also take into consideration the amount of time recently spent on pokerxtreme.com.  Now that pokerxtreme is functional, I should be able to get my bankroll kick started.  I would very much like to make a final table this week on a MTT.  That will be my goal!

Good luck all!


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

About me

Winning Online Tournaments

Read These Blogs!

Marketing Stuff

Previous posts