« Home | Poker, Projects, and World Trade Center » | Side Project... » | Odds, Ends, and a Memorial for Hector » | I'm Back! » | Poo To Be Flung At Phil Hellmuth? » | I Miss My Donkey and other Ramblings... » | New Car... » | Magilla Gorilla The Poo Slinger » | PokerShare.com Sending a Chimp to the WSOP? WTF! » | WSOP and Beyond! » 

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 

Getting Back Above Water...

Okay, I’ve been a horrible blogger this last week.  For that, I apologize.  However, I should have my head back above water late this week. 

The side project I’ve been speaking of has pretty much consumed my time.  I’m pleased to report that the development of this project should be at its end early next week.  For those curious about what I’m working on, I’ll be releasing extensive details this week here on my blog.  I’ll also be opening the site up for early beta testing as soon as tomorrow.  If anyone is interested, please let me know directly and I’ll gladly involve you.  Click Here to do so.

At this point, what I can tell you is that this site is obviously poker related.  It’s geared toward a community setting for poker enthusiasts with technology that makes this community experience unlike any other poker community out there.  It’s more than just your typical forums.  If you want to be one of the first few to check it out, let me know.  I could use some quality testers.

Anyhoo…on to poker stuff.
While my playing time has been limited, I of course have made some time to take part in my daily fix.  With limited time, I find my results are somewhat limited…but I do have positive news to share.

As I recently stated, I reset my pokerstars account to $150.
Over the past week, that $150 turned into $4 whole dollars.  That was an eye opener.  This obviously bummed me out, but I did not admit defeat.  I had $40 left on bodog and $27 over on Titan.  Decided to work on those sites for a few days to cure the pokerstars withdrawal.  Here’s a current breakdown.

$200 on Titan
$120 on Bodog
$70 on Stars

Total: $390


A few notes.

  • If you reset your bankroll on any given site, you damn well better adjust your approach.  While I thought I had a decent game plan for Stars, I put too much faith in the poker gods.  While I saw my roll depleting, I just said to myself, it’ll turn around if I just keep playing my game.  I played my game, but continued to be faced with variances that I could not address with this bankroll.  I was playing the wrong tournaments.  So, when you make an adjust to your roll, make sure you’re playing the right buy-in events.

  • I’ve had my head so far up pokerstars ass the past few years, adjusting to a different site can actually affect your game.  While I made the necessary adjustments, I found when I first went over to Titan and Bodog, I didn’t take it seriously right away.  In times past, I casually put a few bucks on this site or that site to check it out and take part in various bonus promotions.  But with the majority of my bankroll always being with pokerstars, I created a mindset that the money I had on these others sites was nothing more than funny money.  Change that line of thinking if you ever find yourself in that situation.  Once I got over that mentality, I actually found the tournaments on bodog and titan to be very loose.  I was reminded of tournaments on Stars 4 years ago.  I played in titan’s $25k guarantee Sunday and found the path to the money to almost be simplistic if you just stick to your game.  I played a tight/aggressive game and finished 26th.  Obviously would have liked to do better, but I felt good at the end of the day.

  • Give yourself time to adjust to the different graphic interface and options.  I’m so used to Stars that I was getting extremely frustrated when I couldn’t find quickly the payouts on a tournament while playing at bodog.  I was in a re-buy event and obviously couldn’t determine the payouts until after the first break.  When the break finished, I couldn’t find the right link to determine that information to save my life.  I finally found it…but jesus, shouldn’t be that hard to determine.  In the end, it was my own stupidity for not familiarizing myself with the software ahead of time.  So, in the end, it helps to know your options ahead of time as opposed to the middle of a tournament.

Not sure how I feel about having my bankroll spread out on a few different sites.  I may keep it the way it’s going, I may consolidate back to stars.  Not sure.  I’m encouraged I took the $4 on stars and turned that back into $70.  I may just see where that takes me before making any adjustments.  We shall see.

During the past week, I’ve received several quality emails asking very specific questions about my play and strategy in certain situations.  I will be sharing a few of these questions over the next few days.  I think the questions posed are worthy of discussion and I will be happy to share.

Thanks everyone and good luck at the tables!


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

About me

Winning Online Tournaments

Read These Blogs!

Marketing Stuff

Previous posts