« Home | Are Circuit Events Drying Up? » | Silenced by 33's » | Food break... » | Update... » | Rise and Shine... » | Made It In One Piece! » | All Systems Go... » | Next stop…Tunica! » | A Good Night... » | Stop, Reflect, and Remember... » 

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 

An interesting situation happened to me while playing in the main event at Tunica last week. I will try my best to articulate this situation as it went down rather quickly.

I’m in middle position with a premium starting hand. 3 players ahead of me fold. I raise the action to 3x the BB. Button calls my raise as does the BB…or so the dealer thought.

The dealer pulls the chips into the pot, burns and turns the next card. As he’s turning the card over, I verbally announce that the pot is incorrect. The BB did not call the action.

The BB proceeds to argue the point but not in a way that was hostile, but in a way that you can just tell he’s trying to get away with something. He places all blame on the dealer at this point.

The dealer proceeds to count down the pot. Blinds accounted for. Antes accounted for. My raise accounted for. Buttons call accounted for. And that’s it. The BB did not call the action.

Now what?

Having been a dealer, my immediate thinking is that the BB’s hand is dead.

At this point, rather then debate the issue at the table, I figured the best recourse would be to get the floor involved. The dealer calls the floor over. “Bob” quickly arrives.

The dealer explains the situation to Bob as I have written it above. Bob thinks long and hard which I had hoped was a good sign. This is his ruling:

He informs the BB (the individual that did not call the action) that he can do one of two things. He can either choose to call the original raise and retain his hand, or fold his cards. Bear in mind, the flop is on the table in all its naked glory. No mention was made regarding the fate of that flop.

At this point, I start screaming (inside). The BB decides to forfeit his hand.

Rather than entertain a drawn out debate, I figure the point is moot and I carry on with the hand. However, during the next break, I present this hand to a few dealer friends who all believe the floor’s decision was wrong. How can you give this player the choice to remain in the hand after seeing the flop for free? In essence, you are giving him a huge advantage having seen that flop which could very much impact the play at hand. It seems to me the obvious choice would be to call the hand dead. And not that it matters at this point, but it is truly my belief that this individual hid his hand from the dealer in hopes of sneaking into the pot.

What are your thoughts?

Wow, you got robbed! He saw the flop, he didn't turn in his cards, so he has to make good on the pot. Right?

That was my first line of thinking...but the majority of feedback I'm getting is that after presenting the BB his options, the flop would return to the stub, reshuffled, and put back out. However, this was never in the options presented. So...in the end, just glad the guy folded.

The flop comes back, before the BB does anything. The floor showed he has friends, and the dealer shows he/she, does not have a regular job!

Post a Comment

About me

Winning Online Tournaments

Read These Blogs!

Marketing Stuff

Previous posts