« Home | Major Suckage! » | Neteller Committed to Staying in the U.S. Market » | Poker Blogs! » | Pics from Tunica » | An interesting situation happened to me while play... » | Are Circuit Events Drying Up? » | Silenced by 33's » | Food break... » | Update... » | Rise and Shine... » 

Monday, October 16, 2006 

Cash Games on Bodog.com...

While I’m sure most are still discussing the potential downfall of internet poker and recent legislation, I want to focus on the fact that there is still money to be made.  I’m not sure if it’s just coincidence, fate, luck, or skill…but between 9pm Friday night and 1am this morning, I more than quadrupled my bankroll on Bodog.com.  And not through typical means.  At least, not typical to my style of play as of late.

Before discussing details, I want to attribute this break of monotony to an article I read in Card Player Friday evening.  I forget the writer’s name and for whatever reason, carplayer.com does not reflect the magazine volume in its current archive list.  Otherwise, I would give the proper credit.  Long story short, this writer goes into detail why he opts for cash games and avoids the pressure of tournament play.  Having not played in a cash game in over a year…I decided to take his advice and just give it a whirl.  I’ve been playing so many tournaments lately, I needed a break.

Decided to sit down at a 2/4 limit game on bodog.com.  2 Hours Friday night.  6 Hours Saturday.  4 Hours Sunday.  Started with $140 and ended last night at $600.  All on 2/4 limit tables.  I attribute my success to a few simple tactics which pretty much lends itself to any limit game…but to be specific, I opted to play a very aggressive game to the river when in position.  Opened up my possible starting hands.  And decided to rarely limp.  Raise or fold unless I’m in horrible position.

This worked extremely well.  Had a few swings to extremely cruel beats on the river, but that’s par for the course and pretty much what I remember about limit cash games.  But all in all, this was a refreshing break.  Nearly $40 an hour is a rate I can live with.  Now if only I could sustain such an average, I’d have a lot less bitching to do in life. 

I make no claim to be a decent cash game player.  Back in the day before the moneymaker effect, I did extremely well with ring games.  As poker popularity increased, I leaned more toward tournament play.  The thinking was that I was always on equal ground and could control my destiny.  I never made such a score in ring games that my bankroll could accommodate a long term solution.  However, the tournament path treated me very well.  I stuck to it.  Past history would suggest that after returning to a cash game and doing well, I’ll quickly screw it up and be back in my tournaments.  However, I want to do things differently this time around.

Previously, after doing well in cash games, my biggest error is to rush the increase in stakes.  I’ll make a decent score and almost immediately try to shove my way forward.  Therefore, I’m going to continue to mess around with the 2/4 limit game on bodog.com and attempt to increase my roll substantially before I take any “next steps”.  Depending on which book you read, or which pro you speak with, everyone has a theory on what your bankroll should be to accommodate various levels.  I’m going to take such advice and continue down this path and see what happens.  As I see it, playing purely on profit.  Nothing to lose.  Going to throw in my favorite tournaments for good measure and let the chips fall where they may.

If you find yourself over at bodog…look me up.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

About me

Winning Online Tournaments

Read These Blogs!

Marketing Stuff

Previous posts